Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Content Loss in Trial Version of HTML to PDF Conversion Options
Ravi
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2024 3:34:35 AM
Groups: Member

I am currently using the trial version to convert large HTML files to PDF. During the conversion process, I have noticed that some files are not fully processed, with only part of the HTML content included in the final PDF. This issue occurs intermittently, particularly with larger files.

Could you kindly confirm whether this limitation is related to the trial version of the tool? I would also like to know if the issue will be resolved with the licensed version.

I appreciate your assistance and look forward to your response.
Thank you in advance for your support.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2024 10:47:53 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

This is not a limitation of the trial version.

The most common scenario for this to occur is when your HTML file has JavaScript code that dynamically load/updates contents. The HTML to PDF converter knows when the entire file has finished loading, however it does not know when your JavaScript code has finished running (for some pages there is no such things as "finished running", for example, a page that displays a ticking clock). In that case if the HTML to PDF converter starts conversion before the contents are ready, then some contents can be missing.

You can try to increase HtmlToPdf.Options.MinLoadWaitTime to see if that resolves the issue. If you wish to precisely control when the conversion starts, you can use manual trigger:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/pdf/htmltopdf/trigger.html

If this is not the problem, you can try to isolate the problem into a test project and send the test project to us. We will be happy to take a look and see what we can find. See here for more information on how to send test files to us:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/forum/test_project.aspx

Thanks!
Ravi
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2024 10:27:42 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. I would like to provide some additional context to ensure we're addressing the root cause of the issue.

In our use case, we are converting multiple large HTML files, around 25 in total, back-to-back in a single process. The file sizes vary between 16 to 20 MBs. We have observed that the issue with incomplete content processing occurs more frequently when handling these larger files.

Given this scenario, could you kindly confirm if there are any specific configurations or recommendations for handling multiple large file conversions efficiently? I have already tried adjusting the MinLoadWaitTime, but the issue persists.

Any further suggestions for optimizing performance and avoiding intermittent content loss in our situation would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your continued support.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 9:49:04 AM

Hi,

This is not an efficency issue. If the converter somehow could not finish the conversion in time, it will throw an exception and the entire conversion task will fail, it will not simply drop some contents. Dropping contents can occur for many reasons, but not due to efficiency issue. We can not tell you exactly what happened unless we can reproduce it and debug into it here.

Thanks!
Ravi
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 10:21:19 AM

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details. I have noticed that there are some images embedded in the HTML content, which is likely contributing to the larger file size. For example, I processed five HTML files concurrently, and while the first PDF was generated with both the image and the content intact, the images were missing from the subsequent PDFs, leaving only the text content.

This is the scenario I’m encountering. Would you kindly share your contact details so that we may arrange a one-on-one discussion, if convenient?

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you
eo_support
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 10:35:04 AM

We can't really figure out much just by talking about the issue. The browser engine has 10s of millions line of code and if any one line goes wrong you will get the wrong result. So we need a test file to put it under the debugger and debug it here in order to get to the bottom of the issue. As much as we'd like to tell you that we can figure this out simply by talking about it, in the end it would just be a waste of your precious time. Once we debug through it, we can tell you exactly what causes the problem and if there is any workaround you can do on your end to avoid it.

It is also possible that you have a unique HTML file that triggers some issues in our conversion engine that can only be addressed through code change on our end. In that case there is no change you can make on your end to make it work. Again such issue can only be resolved by debugging through the issue first.

So the sooner we can reproduce the issue here the sooner we will be able to find out a solution for you. In order to do that we would need you to isolate the problem into a small test project and then send the test project/files to us. Once we have that, we will start to work on it immediately.