Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

"Fakepath" in AJAXUploader dialog box Options
Matt Marshall
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:15:59 PM
Groups: Member

I am evaluating the AJAXUploader control. It seems to be working well on the local development machine, but when I deploy to a test server to demo to management, selecting a local file to upload fails to work properly and the path shown in the Input Box Place Holder inserts the value "fakepath" in place of the true local path.

Is this a licensing issue that will go away once the product is purchased? Management is concerned that the product does not work correctly and I want to validate performance before purchase.

eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:32:58 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

This is not a license issue. This is a security feature introduced by IE 8. IE 8 intentionally change the path to "fakepath" so that when the file is transferred to the server, the server side code would not see the full path of the client side file. The feature is only activated when the file is in Internet Zone. If you move the site to Trusted Zone then you should see the real path.

The obvious problem for this security feature is that it freaked a lot of end users out. Another problem is user is unable to see and verify that they indeed have selected the right file. So I am not sure why Microsoft decided to do that. But in any case, it should not affect the file uploading. You should still be able to upload the file and get the file name, except that you can not get the full file path.

To avoid user from getting confused by seeing the "fakepath" file name, you can customize the uploader to hide the text box part completely. In order to do so you will need to connect an uploader with a toolbar button. Your user would then select the toolbar button to browse and upload a file. You can find a working example about this feature at here:

http://demo.essentialobjects.com/Default.aspx?path=AJAXUploader\uploader_toolbar

Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!
JRichmond
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:52:12 PM

Is there any chance that you can update the uploader to check the browser and then just remove the entire path except for the actual file name (just like Chrome, Safari and Firefox do)?

Apparently this is an issue with Opera as well...

http://www.mail-archive.com/whatwg@lists.whatwg.org/msg17668.html

In Firefox 3: "upload.txt"
In Safari 4: "upload.txt"
In Chrome 2: "upload.txt"
In Internet Explorer 8: "C:\fakepath\upload.txt"
In Opera 10: "C:\fakepath\upload.txt"
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:56:04 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

I believe that is possible. We will look into it and see what we can do.

Thanks!
JRichmond
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:06:16 PM

Wow, fast response! Thanks for looking into it for us.